Friday, July 16, 2010

PGP 3

The experiences that I have had during the last few weeks have been uplifting. It has helped me to realize that technology is NOT ONLY computer oriented. I think that is where many educators fall short because they think that to integrate technology it must ALWAYS be computer based. With this thought process though, they quickly become frustrated when the computer breaks or there aren’t very many in the classroom, or the electricity goes out as what happened in OUR very own classroom recently.

This week I have learned to make HIGH TECH technology LOW TECH if need be, thus still integrating technology but more importantly making it appealing for the students.

That is where my enlightenment had come in “to see my students in a whole new light”. Before, I was wanted to make things more fun in the classroom, but simply did not know how without THINKING that I had to allow them to bang on the computer for enjoyment. Last week I mistyped I meant to say my passion and what I want for my students HAS NOT changed but I have become more open to allowing more student interaction and not so much teacher directed lecturing of the students. I have become convinced that global thinking is important because technology has made it important. There is no way for one to go through life and not be affected by what happens on the other side of the world.

The concrete steps that I need to take in order to draw an understanding of this concept and passion for learning is for me to learn all that I can but not only that allow for the use in my classroom. In addition to convincing administration that technology use in the classroom in its FULL AUTHENTIC form is not a bad thing.

Attached below is a conversation I had on FB with one of my friends regarding laptops and IPhone use on the elementary level. The conversation began after my friend was shocked to find that Pottery Barn Kids,was selling backpacks for little kids that could hold laptops and IPods/IPod Touch for them to take to school.The conversation was just today,Friday, July 16, 2010

After reading please view the video that sparked the discussion:

Gena Pender Gossett: Right away I noticed the iPhone. Are we really sending elementary kids to school with iPhones or the iPod Touch?

Naomi Samone: Wow! And I must get one for Ashley because yes, she has a laptop and an IPOD and she is 6, but she does not take it to school if that makes u feel better. LOL

Gena Pender Gossett: Why does she have an iPod? and iPod or an iPod Touch?

Carl Richelia: Gena, you are such a mom...:)

Naomi Samone: She has an IPOD so she can listen to her music. She does not have the Touch. LOL MOMMY!

Gena Pender Gossett: What I say?!!!!!!

Robert Turner: yes and that is why as a teacher i enjoy taking their phones and calling their house....if you can afford the iphone you can afford for me to call at peak hours

Gena Pender Gossett: you ain't right Rob!

Robert Turner: I know..hahahahaha

Gena Pender Gossett: Carl meet Rob! Rob, meet Carl at Gibson's tonight. He's buying!

Naomi Samone: LMAO @Robert, I need to start doing that in the classroom too. Good idea!

For the record my daughter does not have a cell, though she wants one, so Gena that is where I draw the line. LMAO But seriously she does not take her things to school.
Naomi Samone: On another serious note though. I am here getting my Master's in technology and I am learning so much of HOW to use the technology in the classroom and how they WON'T become distractions if we are using them affectively in the classroom. There are many ways to use those things in the classroom from elementary on up. I had no idea until I began the program. So sorry guys, old school is out and tech is here to stay and the schools need to catch up with the times.

I will step down from the soapbox now. :) Keep smiling!

Naomi Samone: It is called T-PACK spelled TPCK - Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge

Tina Courtney: Yes Naomi, but it is a bit scary. I have a 7th grade granddaughter who drives me crazy because she does not take time to smell the roses. She wants everything to be fast, she does not want to think about how to do something, she just thinks her fingers can make things happen with her electronic gadgets. I suppose I will get used to it, but being one who loves the process of figuring things out for myself, it will be difficult. Oh my, I sound like my mother!!!!

Naomi Samone: LOL @ Tina I was scared too. But hopefully as more educators and adults in general learn and embrace the technology then it won't be so scary. We can teach them to smell the roses. SMILE!

But my oh my there is a word for us oldies, we are called Digital Immigrants and our children are Digital Natives.

But you are on the right track, all of us are because we have embraced FB. Way to go Mommy! LOL

Tina Courtney: Thanks Naomi, I will take a look at the link. There is always more to learn and I appreciate your tactful nudge!!

Naomi Samone: ALL SMILES!!!!

Pottery Barn Video

1 comment:

  1. I always know that an educator is making progress when they begin to talk about technology in a way that transcends the tools. The goal of “integrating technology” is an important one because of the access to information it provides, the kinds of thinking it makes possible, the literacy skills it develops, and the types of interaction it facilitates. Furthermore, it can be “fun” and sometimes enhances students’ engagement in the lesson. However, as is true of many “reforms” in education, in the process, technology integration got reduced to what is most concrete about it (i.e., the tools) and many of the underlying purposes for integration have been obscured in the process. For me, what has been powerful about infusing technology-related activities into my classes is that doing so has enabled me to see new things about my teaching and my students’ learning. By making many perennial educational issues more transparent, it has caused me to reflect on my practice and enabled me to see potential innovations in ways that have really pushed my pedagogy. It can be an overwhelming process, but also an exciting one. Never in the history of the world have we been so physically connected—never has our capacity to influence the world been so accessible, instantaneous, or far-reaching.

    So my question for you is what will your VERY next step be in the process of learning all you can in preparation for guiding your students to participate in the world? What very next step will you take to invite your administration to join you in that learning?

    The conversation you posted was very interesting. I was impressed to see you leverage the things you’ve been learning in the MAET Program to advocate for the benefits of technology—giving your friends some new nuggets to think about (TPACK, Digital Natives/Immigrants) while simultaneously acknowledging their fears and highlighting the progress they have already made. GREAT mentoring with “tactful nudging!”

    ReplyDelete